18 June 2012

Anglican Patrimony: Preparatory Prayers at the Step

+
I recently was told by a Roman Catholic liturgist that the following prayers have no place in Anglican Liturgy.  Oh, really?  It was impossible to convince the liturgist otherwise.  One can find these prayers at the step of the Altar in the Anglican Church in Melanesia, in the various Missals, and in many authorised Anglican Orders for Eucharist.  (Sometimes the name of S. Andrew finds its way into the Confession after SS. Peter and Paul). 

Here is the form once used widely throughout Guyana and the Carribbean:

THE PREPARATION
(As authorised for use in the Diocese of Guiana).
V. In the name + of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

V. I will go into the altar of God.
R. Even unto the God of my joy and gladness.

(The following psalm is omitted during Passiontide and at Requiems).

Psalm 43.
V. Give sentence with me, O God, and defend my cause against the ungodly people: O deliver me from the deceitful and wicked man.
R. For thou art the God of my strength, why hast thou put me from thee: and why go I so heavily, while the enemy oppresseth me?
V. O send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me: and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling.
R. And that I may go unto the altar of God, even unto the God of my joy and gladness: and upon the harp will I give thanks unto thee, O God, my God.
V. Why art thou so heavy, O my soul: and why art thou so disquieted within me?
R. O put thy trust in God: for I will yet give him thanks, which is the help of my countenance, and my God.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son: and to the Holy Ghost;
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be: world without end. Amen.

V. I will go unto the altar of God.
R. Even unto the God of my joy and gladness.
V. Our help is in the Name of the Lord.
R. Who hath made heaven and earth.

V. I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John Baptist, to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the saints and to you Brethren, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed, through my fault, my own fault, my own most grievous fault. Therefore I beg blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you, Brethren, to pray to the Lord our God for me.
R. Almighty God have mercy upon you, forgive you your sins and bring you to everlasting life.
V. Amen.
.
R. I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints and to you, Father, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed, through my fault, my own fault, my own most grievous fault. Therefore I beg blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints and you, Father, to pray to the Lord our God for me.
V. Almighty God have mercy upon you, forgive you your sins and bring you to everlasting life.
R. Amen.
.
V. May the almighty and merciful Lord grant unto us pardon, absolution and remission of all our sins.
R. Amen.

V. Wilt thou not turn again and quicken us, O Lord?
R. That thy people may rejoice in thee.
V. O Lord, show thy mercy upon us
R. And grant us thy salvation.
V. Lord, hear our prayer.
R. And let our cry come unto thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.
V. Let us pray.
(Here follows the Collect for Purity).


THE INTRODUCTION
At the entry of the Priest and his Assistants, or after the Collect for Purity, an Introit Psalm may be sung or said.

THE COLLECT FOR PURITY
Let us pray
ALMIGHTY God, unto whom all hearts be open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy Holy Name; through Christ our Lord. R. Amen.

The Introit Psalm may be sung or said here.
 
+Lead us and guide us by Thy good Spirit.