24 February 2016

Prayers from an Orthodox Prayer Book


Jesus Christ Conquers!

        O Lord our God, forgive all the sins I have committed this day in word, deed, and thought, for Thou art good and loves mankind. Grant me a peaceful sleep, free of restlessness. Send Thy Guardian Angel to protect and keep me from all harm. For Thou art the Guardian of our souls and bodies, and to Thee we ascribe glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.


        O Lord our God, in Whom we believe and upon Whose Name we call more than any other name: grant relief to our souls and bodies as we go to sleep. Keep us from every fantasy and dark pleasure. Halt the rushing of passions and quench the fiery arousals of the flesh. Grant us to live chastely in word and deed. Having embraced a virtuous life, may we not fall away from Thy promised blessings, for blessed art Thou for ever. Amen.


A Prayer of Supplication by Saint John Chrysostom


For the Day

        Lord, exclude me not from Thy heavenly blessings.
        Lord, deliver me from eternal torments.
        Lord, whether I have sinned in mind 
                or thought, word or deed, forgive me.
        Lord, deliver me from all ignorance, 
                forgetfulness, cowardice, and stone like insensitivity.
        Lord, deliver me from every temptation.
        Lord, enlighten my heart which evil desires have darkened.
        Lord, as a man I have sinned: as a gracious God, 
                have mercy on me, seeing the weakness of my soul.
        Lord, send Thy Grace to my aid, 
                that I may glorify Thy holy name.
        Lord Jesus Christ, inscribe me, Thy servant, 
                in the book of life, and grant me a good end.
        Lord, my God, 
                even though I have done nothing good before Thee, 
                   grant by Thy Grace that I may make a good beginning.
        Lord, sprinkle the dew of Thy Grace into my heart.
        Lord of Heaven and earth, remember me,
             Thy sinful, shameful and impure servant, 
                        in Thy Kingdom. Amen.

For the Night

        Lord, accept me in penitence.
        Lord, abandon me not.
        Lord, lead me not into temptation.
        Lord, grant me good thoughts.
        Lord, grant me tears, 
                the remembrance of death and compunction.
        Lord, grant me the thought of confessing my sins.
        Lord, grant me humility, chastity, and obedience.
        Lord, grant me patience, courage, and meekness.
        Lord, cause the root of good to dwell in me
                — Thy fear in my heart.
        Lord, grant that I may love Thee with all my soul and mind 
                and to do Thy will in all things.
        Lord, protect me from certain people, 
                demons and passions, and from any other unseemly thing.
        Lord, I know that Thou doest as Thou wilt: 
                may Thy will be in me, a sinner, 
                        for blessed art Thou for ever. Amen.

Orthodox Daily Prayers
pp. 76-79
St. Tikhon's Seminary Press
1982 edition


In 2014 St. Tikhon's Monastery Press published a new version of Orthodox Daily Prayers edited by Sergei Arhipov which can be found via this link.