03 February 2007

Bishop Thomas Ken on Prayer



Bishop Thomas Ken was a mystic and a non-juror bishop of Anglican identity who was deprived of his See because he stood by his vow to the Catholic King of England and would not take another vow to the Protestant princes brought in by Parliament. The great sacrifices he made should not be forgotten, nor should we forget his loyalty to the Catholic King of England James II.

Around the world people sing his Doxology in English, in Hawaiian, and translated into many other languages -- Praise God from whom all blessings flow! -- but few think to thank God for the man who penned these words and fewer still to seek the intercession of Thomas Ken.

Because of Bishop Thomas Ken I was a far more faithful Christian than I would have been when I was an Anglican, and now he and his teaching are even more important to my Christian life as a Roman Catholic of Anglican Heritage. While there is much that I could post here, I thought to start with some advice for the prayers of younger students or scholars.

The advice and the prayers are as good as gold still to this day. And Bishop Ken's devotion to the Child Jesus is one of those Catholic streams running through part of Anglicanism that also nourished my own understanding of the faith when I was young. Many years ago I came to love the Child Jesus through this instruction. This instruction has its Catholic counterparts in love for el Divino Nino in the Americas as well as to the Infant of Prague, a devotion found about the globe.

Now on to Bishop Ken's good words to young scholars in the making:

Directions for the Youngest.

IF you are very young, good Philotheus, that Gods commands may not seem grievous to you, at your first setting out, I shall advise you to no more, then your Infant Devotion will bear; and that is, To take great care, to learn your Catechism without Book, and to learn to understand it; for 'tis impossible you can ever perform your duty, unless you first know what it is; 'tis impossible you can ever go to Heaven, unless you learn the way thither: and that you may beg Gods dayly blessing, and his grace to assist you, learn these two short Prayers by heart, and say them every day.


Morning Prayer.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord God, for all the blessings I dayly receive from Thee, and for Thy particular preservation, and refreshment of me, this night past.

O Lord have mercy upon me, and forgive, whatsoever Thou hast seen amiss in me, this night; and for the time to come, give me grace, to fly all youthful lusts, and to remember Thee, my Creatour, in the days of my youth.

Shower down Thy graces and blessings on me, and on all my Relations [on my Father and Mother, on my Brethren and Sisters] on all my Friends, on all my Governours in this place, and on all my Fellow-Scholars, and give Thy Angels charge over us, to protect us all from sin and danger.

Lord bless me in my Learning this day, that I may every day grow more fit for Thy service. O pardon my failings, and do more for me, then I can ask, or think, for the merits of Jesus my Saviour, in whose holy words I sum up all my wants. Our Father which art in heaven, &c,


Evening Prayer.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord God, for all the blessings, I dayly receive from Thee, and for Thy particular preservation of me this day.

O Lord have mercy upon me, and forgive, whatsoever Thou hast seen amiss in me, this day past, and for the time to come, give me grace, to fly all youthful lusts, and to remember Thee my Creatour, in the days of my youth.

Lord receive me, and all my Relations, and all that belong to this Colledge, into Thy gracious protection this night, and send me such seasonable rest, that I may rise the next morning, more fit for thy service.

Lord hear my prayers, and pardon my failings, for the merits of my blessed Saviour, in whose holy words, I sum up all my wants. Our Father which art in Heaven, &c.


This, good Phil. is the lowest degree of duty, and it should be your dayly endeavour, to improve in your devotion, as well as in your learning, and the more effectually to move you to so happy an improvement, I advise you on Sundays and Holy-days, attentively to read over this following Meditation, and to propose to your self, the Holy Child Jesus, for your example.


A Meditation on the Holy Child Jesus.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord Jesus, Glory be to Thee, who when Thou wert twelve years old, didst go up to Jerusalem with Thy Parents, after the custom of the Feast, to eat the Passover, and to worship Thy Heavenly Father.

O blessed Saviour, give me grace like Thee, to make Religion my first, and chiefest care, and devoutly to observe, all solemn times, and all holy Rites, which relate to Thy worship.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord Jesus, Glory be to Thee, who when Thy Parents returned home, didst stay behind in Jerusalem, and after three days, wast found of them in the Temple, sitting in the midst of the Doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

O blessed Saviour, who in Thy very Childhood, didst triumph over all the vain delights of youth; and wouldst choose no place, but the Temple to reside in, Mortifie in me, all inordinate love of sensual pleasure, which may pervert me from my duty; raise in me an awful reverence of Thy House, an early devotion in my Prayers, and a delight in Thy Praises.

O blessed Jesu, who didst choose before all others, the company of the Doctors, and didst both hear them, and ask them Questions; give me grace to abhor all lewd company, and all filthy communication, give me grace to love wise, and sober, and profitable, and religious conversation, and to be diligent, and inquisitive after learning, and whatsoever is good.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord Jesus, Glory be to Thee, who when Thy Father, and Mother had sought Thee, sorrowing, didst reply to them, How is it that ye sought me, wist ye not that I must be about my Fathers business?

O blessed Jesu, who from Thy infancie didst make it Thy whole imployment, to do Thy Fathers will, kindle in me a forward zeal for Thy Glory, that I may consecrate my youth to Thy service, and make it the great business of my life, to know and fear, to love and obey, my Heavenly Father.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord Jesus, Glory be to Thee, who didst at last return home with Thy Parents, and wert subject to them!

O blessed Jesu, give me grace to honour my Parents, and Governours, and readily to obey all their lawful commands!

Glory be to Thee, O Lord Jesus, Glory be to Thee, who in those tender years, wert blessed with such Heavenly wisdom, that all that heard Thee, were astonished at Thy understanding and answers, who didst dayly increase in this Heavenly wisdom, and in favour with God and Man!

O Lord Jesu, bless me with all abilities of mind and body, that may make me dayly increase in my Learning; but above all, bless me with Wisdom from above, and give me Thy Holy Spirit to assist, and enlighten me, that as I grow in Age, I may dayly grow in Grace, and in the knowledge of Thee, and in favour with God and Man; and every day more and more conformable to Thy Unsinning and Divine example.

Amen, Lord Jesus, Amen.