15 August 2012

VIgil of the Assumption

+

The Falling-Asleep 
of the 
Blessed Virgin Mary 
 


INTROIT. Vultum tuum. Ps. 45.
THE rich among the people shall make their supplication before thee: the virgins that be her fellows shall bear her company and shall be brought unto thee with joy and gladness. Ps. ibid. My heart is inditing of a good matter: I speak of the things that I have made unto the King. Glory be.

COLLECT.
O GOD, who didst vouchsafe to choose the Virgin womb of blessed Mary wherein to make thy dwelling-place: grant, we beseech thee; that we, being defended by her protection, may of thee be enabled to attain with gladness to her coming festival. Who livest and reignest with the Father.

The Epistle. Ecclesiasticus 24.17
As the vine brought I forth pleasant savour: and my flowers are the fruit of honour and riches. I am the mother of fair love, and fear, and knowledge, and holy hope. I therefore, being eternal, am given to all my children which are named of him. Come unto me, all ye that be desirous of me, and fill yourselves with my fruits. For my memorial is sweeter than honey, and mine inheritance than the honeycomb. They that eat me shall yet be hungry: and they that drink me shall yet be thirsty. He that obeyeth me shall never be confounded, and they that work by me shall not do amiss. They who seek me out shall have eternal life.

GRADUAL.  
Blessed and worshipful art thou, O Virgin Mary who a maiden undefiled, hast our Saviour for thy Child. V. Virgin Mother of God, the whole world cannot contain him: yet made man for our sake, hidden he lies in thy womb.

The Gospel. St Luke 11.27
At that time: It came to pass as Jesus spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him: Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. But he said: Yea, rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it.

OFFERTORY.  
Blessed art thou, O Virgin Mary, who didst bear the Creator of all things: thou didst give birth to thy Maker, and for ever remainest a Virgin.

SECRET.
GRANT, O Lord, that, like as thou didst take the blessed Mother of God from this life, to the intent that she might faithfully make intercession before thee for the remission of our sins: so now her prayers may render these our oblations acceptable in the sight of thy mercy. Through the same.

PREFACE OF THE B.V.M.  Preface, page B47, The People's Anglican Missal.

COMMUNION.  
Blessed is the womb of the Virgin Mary, that bore the Son of the everlasting Father.

POSTCOMMUNION.
GRANT, O Lord, we pray thee, the protection of thy mercy to the frailty of our mortal nature: that we, who here prevent the festival of the holy Mother of God; may by the help of her intercession die to our former sins, and rise again to newness of life. Through the same Jesus Christ our Lord.

+ Ave Maria!